The Professional Standards Committee of the Diocese of Sandhurst is part of the structure under the protocols established by Towards Healing process (n. 39) which requires that each Bishop have a consultative group to assist him in the formulation and review of Diocesan policies and practices relating to professional standards, specifically implementation of the process outlined in Towards Healing for responding to allegations of abuse of children, young persons and vulnerable adults.
It is the responsibility of this Committee to advise the Bishop on the appropriate response to complaints of abuse against priests, employees and volunteers in the Diocese. The Committee also provides advice on the review of Diocesan policies and practice relating to professional standards.
The Catholic Diocese of Sandhurst is committed to providing a safe and supportive environment for all persons, especially children, young people and vulnerable adults. The Diocese is committed to nationally established standards and protocols of the Catholic Church, as well as being compliant with all government legislation.
The Committee consists of the Bishop, clergy of the Diocese and lay members, a composition representing the professions of law, health, education, parishes and social work across the Diocese. The Committee meets at least three times a year. The current Chair of the Committee is Father Brian Boyle (contact details below).
Through the work of this Committee, the Diocese is committed to the ongoing pastoral and personal support of any person who has suffered physical or sexual abuse by Church personnel.
Child Protection Legislation
- Summary of Working with Children Act
- pdf Summary of Grooming Offence (110 KB)
- Summary of Failure to Protect Legislation
- Summary of Failure to Report legislation
- Victorian Child Safe Standards
- Reportable Conduct Scheme
- Reportable Conduct Scheme – Recent updates to information sheets
Tips sheets for Child Safe Organisations
- Cultural Safety for Aboriginal Children
- Safety of Children with a Disability
- Safety of Children from Culturally and Linguistically diverse backgrounds
- Empowerment and Participation of Children
- National Redress Scheme; Click to download the pdf NRS Application form 2018 (119 KB)
- An overview of the Victorian child safe standards
- Catholic Professional Standards Ltd
- Safety of Children and Vulnerable Adults
- Towards Healing
- Integrity in Ministry
- Integrity in the Service of the Church
- Mandatory reporting
- Truth, Justice, Healing Council
- Version 4.0 – A Guide for Creating a Child Safe Organisation (CCYP)Version 4.0 – A Guide for Creating a Child Safe Organisation (CCYP)
- PDF Media Release: 7th February 2017 – Statement from Bishop Leslie Tomlinson – Royal Commission (553 KB)
To make contact with the Professional Standards Committee
Father Brian Boyle (Chair)
P.O. Box 201
Bendigo Vic. 3552.
03. 5441 2544
Towards Healing help line 1800 816 030 (free call)
Professional Standards Resource Group (Victoria)
P.O. Box 6186
Mildura West VIC 3500
Photo by Xavier Mouton Photographie on Unsplash